- Rothesay Hive Age-Friendly Centre
- Type of Position:
- Casual: 1 to 2 hours weekly
- Placement Date:
The YMCA of Greater Saint John is excited to be developing older adult programs within our community. We are seeking an individual with a strong background of working with older adults to lead our Intergenerational program used to develop relationships and common ground between older adults and youth through varied activities such as art, music, activities, stories and much more. The position will include program planning and facilitation. The successful candidate will work both independently and in conjunction with other YMCA staff and volunteers.
- Work with staff to understand Older Adult program goals and curriculum.
- Plan, implement and evaluate the Intergenerational Program.
- Work to create partnerships that will support program success.
- Help facilitate and deliver programs at the Saint John Regional Y.
- Promote program opportunities with the Older Adult community.
- Models appropriate behaviours in line with the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s mission, vision and values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviour with staff, volunteers and members.
- Represents the YMCA of Greater Saint John in a professional manner.
- Understands and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and imparts this knowledge and beliefs upon staff, volunteers and members.
- Self manages personal professional development.
- Use respectable language at all times.
- Well-groomed and appropriately dressed in clothing that is fitting for the position and that will leave the best possible impression on the public.
- Accept the guidance and decisions from the Supervisor/Director as well as reporting planned or unplanned absence to the Supervisor/Director.
- Treat staff, clients and other volunteers of the YMCA of Greater Saint John with respect and dignity and be responsible in the use of the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s resources.
- Perform Volunteer responsibilities promptly, reliably and to the best of the Volunteer’s ability.
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the YMCA of Greater Saint John.
- Accept and work within the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s Guiding Principles, the Mission Statement as well as the Values of the YMCA of Greater Saint John.
- Display appropriate YMCA of Greater Saint John Volunteer identification as required.
- Participate in orientation and training programs when required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience working with Older Adults 55+
- Experience creating, supporting or delivering learning programs and leading group discussions.
- Current and clear security clearance with vulnerable sector screening, excellent customer service skills, basic knowledge of YMCA membership info and programs offered, basic knowledge of facility.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the Mission, Vision and Values of the YMCA.
- Opportunity to enhance skills as well as learn and develop new skills in a fitness facility environment.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Gain valuable customer service experience.
- Enhance communication and interpersonal skills and gain valuable work experience, volunteering reflects and supports a complete picture of an individual, and gives real examples of their commitment, dedication and interests.
- Reference letter supplied with successful volunteer experience upon request.