- Rothesay Hive Age-Friendly Centre
- Placement Date:
Qualifications and Skills:
- Current and clear security clearance with vulnerable sector screening.
- YMCA Certified (or equivalency with the opportunity to challenge the YMCA certification)
- First Aid/CPR certified, knowledge of exercise principles and technology.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of fitness levels in a diverse community.
- Lead safe and versatile group classes to varying levels of fitness members and participants
- Motivate and inspire self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
- Advise members and participants on program/class procedures and policies, answers questions after each session, assist in performing follow up communications with members as required.
- Plan and lead exercise sessions in one or more assigned class streams: Dusty Sneakers, Chair Yoga, Zumba Gold, fall prevention.
- Prepare full balanced fitness classes to meet interest and demand of our members and guests; track attendance.
- Set up and monitor class equipment and ensure the equipment is returned in good condition.
- Volunteer fitness instructors are required to spend time becoming acquainted with the YMCA's philosophies, facilities, procedures and other volunteers.
- Use respectable language at all times.
- Well groomed and appropriately dressed in YMCA Group Fitness Leader Uniform.
- Accept the guidance and decisions from the Supervisor as well as reporting planned or unplanned absence to the Supervisor.
- Treat staff, clients and other volunteers of the YMCA of Greater Saint John with respect and dignity and be responsible in the use of the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s resources.
- Perform Volunteer responsibilities promptly, reliably and to the best of the Volunteer’s ability.
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the YMCA of Greater Saint John.
- Accept and work within the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s Guiding Principles, the Mission Statement as well as the Values of the YMCA of Greater Saint John.
- Display appropriate YMCA of Greater Saint John Volunteer identification as required.
- Participate in orientation and training programs when required.
- Maintain certifications while providing updated certificates, CEC’s and other trainings for file.
- Volunteer Fitness Instructors will need to be available for the designated session(s) for the classes agreed upon leading to properly meet the needs of our members.
- Contribute to your community’s health and wellness.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the Mission, Vision and Values of the YMCA.
- Opportunity to enhance skills as well as learn and develop new skills, grown and strengthen connections in the industry and gain valuable resources.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Gain valuable customer service experience.
- Enhance communication and interpersonal skills and gain valuable work experience, volunteering reflects and supports a complete picture of an individual, and gives real examples of their commitment, dedication and interests.