The Government of New Brunswick has announced that the entire province, including the Saint John region (Zone 2), will be moving into the Orange Phase of the Provincial Recovery Plan effective midnight, January 6, 2021. All of the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s facilities will remain open; however, there will be adjustments made to programs and operations to keep our members, staff, and community safe from the spread of COVID-19.
The Saint John Regional Y and Irving Oil Field House Fitness Centres remain open to our members but the following changes will be implemented.
- Active Screening Table will return with mandatory temperature checks upon entering the facility and answering screening questions.
- All locker rooms and team change rooms are temporarily closed. Members are asked to bring only their spill-proof water bottles and indoor footwear.
- Coat racks and boot mats will be available in the lobby for members to store their outerwear.
- Physical distancing requirements for high-intensity fitness classes will increase from two to three meters.
- Physical distancing requirements of two meters must continue to be maintained for low-intensity fitness classes (e.g. yoga).
- Masks must be worn at all times, even while working out, regardless of physical distancing.
- No individuals will be permitted entry into the facility without wearing either a face mask or a full face shield.
- Child Minding will not be available until further notice at the Saint John Regional Y.
- All swimming and aquatics programming will be paused until further notice except for lane swim and family bubble swim, which will require online registration.
- All other programming will be continuing as normal but all participants must wear a mask at all times while also maintaining physical distancing. Class capacities may be reduced to accommodate physical distancing requirements (this information is available during online registration).
- All public seating areas cannot be used at either facility.
- Please be aware that the Irving Oil Field House hours may be adjusted to reflect rentals and will be communicated weekly.
Child Care and After School Programs
YMCA Child Care is an essential service and all of our locations will remain open during Orange Phase. Therefore, if parents choose not to attend they will be required to continue to pay to hold their spot. Any new guidelines set out by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development will be communicated directly to our families.
Newcomer Connections will continue to operate all programming at this time but will transition to all online classes and services.
We thank you for your patience, understanding, and support as we navigate these unplanned changes amid the pandemic.