Saint John Regional YMCA Set to Open June 8
We have big news: the Saint John Regional Y is reopening on Monday, June 8!
Following the Government of New Brunswick’s announcement that the province will be proceeding to the next level of the COVID-19 Recovery Plan’s Yellow Phase on June 4, we are thrilled to announce that we are among the many other organizations within the province that may reopen to our community — albeit with measures in place to protect our members.
“As we all adjust to this new normal,” said Shilo Boucher, President and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Saint John, “we appreciate your patience and understanding with regards to the new protocols and guidelines put into place to keep you and our staff safe and healthy.”
So, please take a few minutes to read through the information below and check out our videos on what to expect when you return to the Y on Monday!
The New Normal At the Y: What to Expect
The Y is launching online registration to allow members to book slots throughout its Fitness, Membership, and Aquatics programming. This includes time for working out in the Fitness Centre, spots in Group Fitness Classes, and spots in the pool. Programming time slots will open 24 hours before and close one hour prior to the start time. This means that we will be extending the maximum workout time on the fitness floor to 2 hours.
Watch the video below to learn about the online registration process.
After viewing the walkthrough video and creating an account online, members can click the button below to make their bookings.
The Y will be taking all necessary steps to ensure the safety of its members, families, staff, and community. These new procedures will allow members to enjoy the Y’s facilities while helping prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. To guide members through some of the changes, the Y has released a walkthrough video of what to expect.
Please watch the video below to learn what to expect when being welcomed through the doors of the Regional Y.
Hours of Operation
Upon opening on June 8, the Y will operate under modified hours as follows.
- Monday to Friday from 5:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
- Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
The Y will close every day for one hour between 2:00 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. for deep cleaning of all areas within the building.
Fitness Floor Etiquette
Below you will see our updated Fitness Floor Etiquette. We hope these changes will ensure the best experience and safety for all members.
- Use hand sanitizer before entering the building.
- A mask must be worn when entering and exiting the building as well as when walking through the center and in any area where you cannot guarantee a six-foot/two-meter physical distancing requirement.
- Pre-screening is required every time someone enters the building, along with signing off on the answered questions and etiquette.
- Everyone must follow the directional arrows and physical distancing marking when travelling through the center and participating in programs.
- Members must have their access cards ready to show at the screening station in addition to scanning the card upon each visit at the access gates.
- Members must use the hand sanitizer/hand-washing station when entering the Fitness Centre and between machine uses.
- Members must use the provided sanitizer and disinfectant spray to clean before and after using any equipment, in addition to washing/sanitizing hands frequently
- Spray bottles will be in the locker rooms for members to use before and after using the bench, locker, shower, hairdryers, etc. Please sanitize anything you touch.
- Members are permitted to be in the building for a maximum of two hours, including arrival and scanning, getting ready, being active, getting ready to leave, and signing out.
- Bring your own spill-free water bottle to fill up at the fountains. The drinking nozzles at the fountains will not be accessible.
- Close-toed indoor footwear, bottoms, and shirts are required in all locations of the center.
- The use of cardio machines is limited to 30 minutes.
- Members must put away all weights and equipment when finished using them.
- No bags or other items are to be stored in program spaces and must be kept in lockers.
- Offensive language and profanity are not tolerated.
- No pictures are to be taken in any program space within the Y.
About the YMCA of Greater Saint John
The YMCA of Greater Saint John exists to build healthy communities. As a registered charitable organization, the Y relies on your donations to ensure that no one in our community is turned away from partaking in life-enriching Y services due to financial limitations. Please consider supporting your community by donating today – because there is no Y without you!