The YMCA of Greater Saint John Reopens May 29: Membership, Fitness, and Aquatics to Resume
For Immediate Release
The YMCA of Greater Saint John is thrilled to announce the start of its next phase of reopening, which is slated to begin on May 29, 2020 with the resumption of Membership, Fitness, and Aquatics programs at the Regional YMCA on Churchill Boulevard in Saint John. The Y’s decision to reopen its doors and gradually resume operations followed the Government of New Brunswick officially announcing the progression from the orange to the yellow phase of the provincial COVID-19 Recovery Plan on May 22.
Although the Y is awaiting final details of reopening restrictions from GNB and Public Health, an operational plan is in place for the start of this next phase.
- On May 29, the Regional Y will be open to members from 7:00 A.M. to 8:30 P.M.
- On May 30 and 31, the Regional Y will be open for its regular weekend hours from 7:00 A.M. to 8:30 P.M.
- On June 1, the Regional Y will resume all regular hours of operation: from 5:00 A.M. to 10:30 P.M. from Monday to Friday and from 7:00 AM. To 8:30 P.M. on Saturdays and Sundays. The facility will be open from 7:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. on Holidays. Group Fitness will return on a gradual basis starting on this day; however, class sizes will be limited. Classes will be provided to members on a first-come, first-serve basis to members.
- On June 8, the Regional Y’s pool and Aquatics programs will resume. A modified programming schedule will follow in the coming days.
New Policies and Procedures
The Y will be taking all necessary steps to ensure the safety of its members, families, staff, and community. These new procedures will allow members to enjoy the Y’s facilities while helping prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Everyone entering the Regional Y will pass through a screening station, at which point they will be tested for fever and must answer a questionnaire relating to possible coronavirus disease symptoms. Anyone exhibiting any signs of illness is strongly encouraged to stay home and will not be permitted on site until 48 hours after their last symptoms have cleared.
- The Y has implemented a strict physical distancing policy. All people within the facility will be expected to maintain the six-foot/two-meter minimum distance between themselves and others. Staff, members, and visitors will notice ample amounts of signage, including floor decals, foot traffic directional arrows, and more, advising them on the new flow of movement within the facility.
- The Regional Y’s Fitness Centre has a maximum capacity of 50 users at a time with a one-hour time limit. The gym’s floor layout has been modified to allow for proper physical distancing between members, which means certain machines will be put out of service or moved. These will be clearly marked.
- All gym equipment must be cleaned with sanitizing spray and disposable paper towels before and after each use. This procedure will be strongly enforced and members are expected to comply.
- Locker rooms and showers are available for use; however, members are expected to respect physical distancing requirements.
- The Y encourages members, staff, and visitors to wear a face mask upon arrival and while moving throughout its facilities’ public areas and hallways.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, certain Y services will, unfortunately, have to be cancelled or delayed until further notice.
- Due to restrictions on contact sports, the Irving Oil Field House will remain closed temporarily.
- The Rothesay HIVE Age Friendly Community Centre will remain temporarily closed.
- The walking track at the Regional Y will be closed due to the limited ability to maintain safe physical distances between users.
- There will also be no open gym time or youth programs at the Regional Y until further notice.
- Childminding services will not be immediately available but will resume at a later date.
- Access to steam rooms and towel service are temporarily unavailable to members.
- Volleyball on the boardwalk is cancelled for 2020.
- Sports Summer Camps at the Irving Oil Field House are cancelled for 2020.
A comprehensive list of new protocols, procedures, and available programs and services will be shared on the Y’s website and be available onsite as it continues its phased reopening.
Please keep in mind that all dates are tentative as the Y is dependent upon the recommendations by Public Health, which could change at any time depending on the viral outbreak within New Brunswick. The Y must adhere to those restrictions.
About the YMCA of Greater Saint John
The YMCA of Greater Saint John exists to build healthy communities. As a registered charitable organization, the Y relies on your donations to ensure that no one in our community is turned away from partaking in life-enriching Y services due to financial limitations. Please consider supporting your community by donating today – because there is no Y without you!
For More Information
If you have further questions, please contact the YMCA via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the GNB Recovery Plan, please visit the following website: https://www2.gnb.ca/.