What is YCAN?
YCAN is a national program that supports youth, ages 15 to 30, who face barriers on a regular basis as they develop and deliver service projects that respond to issues and needs, that matter to them, in their local community.
In partnership with 16 other YMCAs across Canada, youth from underrepresented communities are brought together to meet others from different backgrounds, discover their potential, and see their ability to create impact in the world around them; meeting them where they are, to increase their social and employment skills, confidence, and community engagement.
The YCAN Coordinator is dedicated to engaging with youth and structuring a program that meets them where they are so they can belong, grow, thrive, and lead as they imagine, develop, and carry out service projects.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Meet youth from the surrounding communities;
- Be a part of a community that sees a brighter future and care about being part of it;
- Make a positive impact in the community through the planning, development and implementation of service projects based on community need and participant interest;
- Develop social and professional skills for future employment and volunteer opportunities;
- Explore personal interests through a variety of experiential learning opportunities;
- Where applicable, receive high school credits and volunteer hours for your participation; and
- Receive support from the YCAN Coordinator and a reference for future endeavours.
To get the most out of the program we ask that the youth be accountable to the rest of their group and treat their attendance to YCAN as they would with employment. When the group meets will be scheduled based on what works for the majority of the participant and kept consistent. Any changes or additional meetings will be scheduled and agreed upon as a group.
Many of us face barriers of all kinds when participating in programs and courses. YCAN is structured so that everyone can participate to the best of their ability and in a way that is meaningful to them. If there is a barrier keeping you from participating in YCAN, please reach out to your YCAN Coordinator.
Registration for YCAN is ongoing. You are welcome to join us at any time!
For more information, please contact the YCAN Coordinator or learn more online HERE.
Kendra Gautreau: +1-506-333-5550 | firstname.lastname@example.org