Volunteer: Homework Club Tutor
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Organization: YMCA of Greater Saint John
Department: Newcomer Connections
Commitment Requirement: Thursday evenings, 6:00 P.M. – 7:30 P.M., September to June (school year).
Nature and Scope
Homework Club is an afterschool tutoring program offered to newcomer students in Middle and High school. Homework Club Tutors help newcomer children of all backgrounds especially those who have come to Canada as refugees. The Homework Club Tutor provides tutoring support so that students can reach their academic goals and can adapt and integrate faster into the New Brunswick education system. Homework Club Tutors primarily provide support in Middle and High School Math, English, Science and ESL (English as a Second Language). This position works alongside Newcomer Connections’ School Coordinators, Kimchi Nguyen and Shereen Khattab.
- Attend orientation and training.
- Update the Homework Club online schedule as per availability.
- Notify the School Coordinator scheduled or the Volunteer Liaison if unable to attend.
- Assist and support educational activities for students ranging from ages 12-18 who attend the Homework Club as well as aid with any school material they bring.
- Ensure the safety and security of the student when working together.
- Communicate openly and regularly with the School Coordinators.
- Keep the School Coordinators informed of any issues that may impact tutoring.
- Listen to and respect the thoughts and viewpoints of the student, and focus on their strengths. • Report to the Volunteer Liaison, Katie Pierce, firstname.lastname@example.org regarding topics that relate to the volunteer experience.
- Submit tutoring hours to the Volunteer Liaison.
Appreciation: The Newcomer Connections Team would like to thank all volunteers for their time and effort.