Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Organization: YMCA of Greater Saint John
Department: Newcomer Connections
This volunteer works alongside the Settlement Counsellor and is coordinated by the Volunteer Liaison, Mollie McGuire, email@example.com.
Commitment Requirement: On-going and on an on-call basis.
Nature and Scope:
Every year, the YMCA of Greater Saint John Newcomer Connections Centre welcomes and helps settle Government Assisted Refugees (GAR) through the Resettlement Assisted Program (RAP).
During the first few years of a newcomer’s life in Canada, they may require some assistance in navigate systems and services in the greater Saint John area. As a Community Guide, you will provide practical orientation to help refugees navigate appointments in the community and become empowered towards independence.
· Work with Life Skills Coordinator to assist newcomer orientation to key community services
· Assist newcomers towards independence in travel to and from medical, dental and optical appointments in a timely manner
· Assist newcomers to learn registration processes at community services
· Assist newcomers to navigate systems at hospitals, clinics and other public services
· Assist newcomers to become independently able to make and attend future appointments and services
· Empower newcomers towards independence in navigating public services and systems
· Attend ongoing training programs for Community Guides at Y Newcomer Connections
· Submit activity report to Life Skills Coordinator
· Report to the Life Skills Coordinator
Appreciation: The Newcomer Connections Team would like to thank all volunteers for their time and effort.